08 July 2016

Alumni Work - Kyla Anderson

Kyla Anderson is a recent Herron School of Art & Design graduate with a minor in book arts. On display now in the library is the culmination of six students work from this course of study. Which has allowed each of them to funnel their creative work through the medium of the artist book which includes letterpress, other printmaking media and papermaking. Each student has been able to use the artist book in ways distinct to their interest and parallel to their major focus of work at Herron or IUPUI.

"As an artist my passion has always been in the process of creating handmade works. Book arts has become a fantastic way for me to explore not only myself, but also my skill set. Artist's books have a unique versatility that allow me to experimetn with building a variety of structures with varieties of functions. Some of my work is completely based on the expressiveness of structure. Other pieces express narrative through my own writing and the use of silhouettes. For me the silhouette creates a sense of mystery and intrigue. With it I am able to create works that express meaningful stories, where the focuse becomes more on the books as a whole complete object and less on just the images themselves." ~Kyla Anderson























The Book Arts minor is offered through the department of Printmaking at Herron. We teach eight distinct courses spanning bookbinding, concept building through the artist book, letterpress, the printed book, papermaking, paper engineering, a survey course and a capstone senior course.

For more information contact Karen Baldner: kbaldner@iupui.edu

No comments: